- The update will be rolled out later this month in the US
- Availability for other regions has not been announced
- Google announced similar deal with GE Appliances as well
At Google’s I/O 2017 conference, LG announced on Wednesday that some of its premium smart appliances will be getting support for Google Assistant (present on Google Home speakers) with an update that will be rolled out later this month in the US.
The premium portfolio of LG’s connected smart devices, including the Signature brand washing machine and dryer, refrigerator, oven range and air purifier, LG air conditioner, and robotic vacuum will be getting the compatibility for Google Home smart speakers, as per the company’s release. LG has not announced the availability of this support in other markets than the US as of now.
The South Korean company says that users will get “full range” of Google Assistant features with this support on company’s connected smart appliances. “For example, users can check the time remaining during wash cycles on their LG Signature washing machine, tell their LG Signature refrigerator to create more ice, or adjust thermostat settings on their LG air conditioner through simple spoken commands from anywhere within range of Google Home,” the company said giving examples of how the features could potentially be used.
“Our partnership with Google demonstrates just how easy it is to smart-enable one’s home with friendly, approachable products. You don’t have to earn a degree in rocket science to design your very own smart home,” Song Dae-hyun, president at LG Electronics Home Appliance and Air Solutions Company, was quoted as saying in the company’s release. “We look forward to expanding our working relationship with Google and other innovators in this dynamic market in the years to come to make the smart home a reality for all,” Dae-hyun said.
Apart from LG, GE Appliances announced its deal with the search giant on Wednesday to expand Google Assistant support to smart home products from the former company. Apart from expanding support for Google Assistant to smart home appliances, Google announced hands-free calling and Bluetooth support for its Google Home speakers at the I/O conference on Wednesday.
Google I/O 2017: LG Smart Appliances Will Support Google Assistant on Google Home
- Oppo F5 Launch Set for October 26, Tipped to Sport Dual Selfie Cameras
- Xiaomi Mi MIX 2 Bezel-Less Phone to Launch in India Today: How to Watch Live
- iPhone 7 Top-Selling Smartphone Globally in First Half of 2017: IHS Markit
- Could updated controls from NIST drive up cloud security costs?
- SEO giants join forces: Majestic’s backlinks database now integrates with SEMrush