- Sony’s PS4 sold over 73.6 million units since its launch in 2013
- 5.9 million PS4 consoles have been sold over the holiday season
- PS4 games have sold 645 million units across retail and digital stores
Sony has announced that its PS4 sales have hit 73.6 million. Over 5.9 million PS4 consoles were sold during the holiday season (which Sony categories as November 20, 2017 to December 31, 2017) with 55.9 million PS4 games sold across retail stores and via digital downloads on the PlayStation Store. This totals up to 645 million PS4 games sold from its launch in 2013 to December 31, 2017.
“Thanks to the continued support from our fans across the globe, we are honored to announce remarkable sales during the holiday season,” said John Kodera, President and CEO of Sony Interactive Entertainment. “PlayStation Network continues to demonstrate spectacular growth, with the number of PlayStation Plus subscribers surpassing 31.5 million [as of end December 2017], and PS Store recording its largest-ever monthly sales of content in December 2017. I would like to express my deepest gratitude to our community and our partners for helping us achieve such phenomenal milestones. We promise our unwavering commitment to bring more amazing experiences to our fans, including exclusive games and innovative network services, as PS4 continues to flourish as the best place to play.”
This should not be surprising. The PS4 has become the de facto platform of choice for many thanks to a strong line up of exclusives and lax competition from Microsoft’s Xbox One and Xbox One X. While Nintendo is catch up swiftly with the Nintendo Switch, for all practical purposes, this generation of consoles has been reduced to a one horse race.
Previously it was revealed that the PS4 sold more than 70.6 million units as of December 3, 2017 from its launch on November 15, 2013. This includes the original PS4, PS4 Slim, and PS4 Pro. In addition to this, the company revealed that over 617.8 million copies of PS4 games have been sold. This includes both physical copies on disc and digital downloads through Sony’s PlayStation Store.
PS4 Sales Hit 73.6 Million, Over 645 Million PS4 Games Sold Since Launch
- OnePlus 5, OnePlus 5T Start Receiving OxygenOS 5.1.3 Update
- Xiaomi Said to Target as Much as $6.1 Billion in Honk Kong IPO
- Moto One Power Alleged Live Images Reveal Display Notch, Vertical Dual Camera Setup
- A SEO Field Guide to Baidu SERP Features & Ranking Signals
- Why Content Marketing Is a Fool-Proof SEO Strategy Today