The first openly-gay superheroes to appear in a video game can be found in Lego Marvel’s Avengers. And not only do they appear, but they’re also playable characters.
In the Marvel universe, Wiccan and Hulkling are a gay couple who are a part of the superhero team Young Avengers (via Gay Star News). You can unlock both characters in Lego Marvel’s Avengers by helping them defeat baddies.
Wiccan unlocks when you help him and Hulkling beat a small army of Dark Elves in a cave, while Hulkling becomes available after assisting the two against a corrupted hero in Sokovia.
Gay Star News notes that Lego Avengers does not explicitly say that the two are a couple.
The Mortal Kombat series also recently introduced its first gay character in Mortal Kombat X last year.
Lego Marvel’s Avengers received a score of 7 in GameSpot’s review, which said it mostly staves off franchise fatigue thanks to its fast-paced, cheery nature.
Lego Avengers Features First Openly Gay Superheroes in a Video Game
- Samsung Elevates Asim Warsi, Dipesh Shah to Global Roles Amid Robust Growth
- Google Pixel 2 XL Black & White Pre-Order Shipments Delayed in India, Flipkart Offers Compensation
- Vivo V7 With 24-Megapixel Selfie Camera, 18:9 Display Launched: Price, Specifications
- Heavy Rain In Kolkata Returns As Depression Develops In Bay Of Bengal
- IMD warns of heavy rain on eastern coast because of depression over Bay of Bengal