Galantamine is a nitrogen containing oral supplement or drug used to improve brain functioning and many other neurological disorders. It is a natural alkaloid substance that is extracted from several plants like red spider lily, daffodil, Voronov’s snowdrop and snowflake, etc. In medical science galantamine is use in different medicines used for Alzheimer’s disease and some other types of dementia. The non-prescription version of galantamine is equally popular as a dietary supplement, and available in the USA and many other countries as non-prescription drug.
Basic characteristics of galantamine
Galantamine is a benzazepine obtained from norbelladine. It is also found in galanthus, and other types of amarllidaceae. It is also recognized as a cholinesterase inhibitor that has been frequently applied to reverse the muscular effects of gallamine triethiodide, and tubocurarine.
Galantamine is found in many prescription drugs like Nivalin, Reminyl, Razadyne, and Lycoremine, etc. These drugs have been used in certain types of dementia including Alzheimer’s disease.
Health benefits of galantamine
Dozens of research works have been conducted on galantamine to assess its impacts on cognitive functioning of the brain, autism, Alzheimer’s disease diabetes, obesity and many other common problems. Here are some proven benefits of galantamine –
- It improves cognitive functions of the brain. Mild Cognitive Impairment (MCI) is a condition when a person’s basic cognitive functions like learning, understanding, ability to move the muscles, reasoning ability, etc. weakens slowly. Galantamine improves this disorders remarkably.
- Galantamine is also used to reduce brain inflammation. It provides anti-inflammatory effects by activating the cholinergic anti-inflammatory pathway
- Galantamine is also a highly effective antioxidant. It protects the entire body and the brain from extreme oxidative stress. It also protects the brain from the damaging effects of ROS (Reactive Oxygen Species).
- Studies have shown that on regular use of galantamine, insulin signaling pathways remain active and closed pathways open up slowly. Thus, diabetes get good protection against various diabetic symptoms.
- Galantamine can treat obesity effectively. All the major obesity related symptoms like insulin resistance, overweight, craving for fast foods, and high cholesterol levels, etc. come under control on regular use of galantamine.
- Galantamine helps in lucid dreaming. Lucid dreaming is a condition when a person can remember what he dreams while sleeping, and can even control his dreams. Galantamine helps in lucid dreaming by increasing the level of acetylcholine in the brain and altering the cholinergic system.
- Neurologists advise to use galantamine to the autistic patients too. When used with antipsychotic medications, galantamine improves various symptoms of autism, like social withdrawal, lethargy, restlessness, irritability, etc.
- Galantamine is also used in schizophrenia. It is found to protect the brain from the damaging effects of kynurenic acid that is always found in higher levels in the schizophrenic patients. Galantamine activates AMPA-mediated signaling pathway that doesn’t work actively in schizophrenic patients.
- Besides, galantamine can also be used to cure arthritis, and damages in the brain due to trauma.
Doses of galantamine
Galantamine is available in the market in 4mg, 8mg, and 16mg tablets. Experts advise to start with low doses and increase the doses slowly. For therapeutic applications, low powered, non-prescription version of galantamine tablets can be taken twice daily to get results.