- PS4 Pro gets new options to compete with Xbox One X
- Supersampling can be used on any game
- This should allow for better image quality
The PS4 Pro may soon make your games look better. According to those participating in the PS4 system software update 5.50 beta, supersampling has been added as an option to Sony’s iterative console.
Supersampling allows games that support enhanced textures, anti-aliasing, and resolutions above 1080p to scale to 1080p screens allowing for improved image quality, fewer jagged edges, and a sharper overall experience.
Although most PS4 Pro enhanced games let you choose between better graphics or a higher frame rate or run with supersampling, this ensures that those that don’t now will. It’s an interesting addition as the Xbox One X has had it since launch, making it obvious that Sony is looking to close the gap from a features standpoint.
Nonetheless, Sony does note that the outcome of this will differ from game to game. In some cases, the image quality may not be all that better or the frame rate may be impacted.
While this is a part of the PS4 system software 5.50 beta, it will be interesting to see if Sony makes it available to a wider audience when 5.50 is ready for mass consumption, or perhaps hold it back for more testing.
This isn’t the first time Sony has brought core, system-level features to the PS4 Pro with an update. Last year saw Boost Mode which promised to increase the frame rate in games that weren’t optimised for the PS4 Pro albeit it saw mixed results. How much of an impact supersampling has will be a point of contention in the weeks to come. Till then, here’s a list of games from popular gaming forum ResetEra that support supersampling.
PS4 Pro supersampling game list
- The Last Guardian
- Dishonored 2
- Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
- Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
- Assassin’s Creed: The Ezio Collection
- Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 + 2.5 Remix
- Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue (Dream Drop Distance)
- Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain
- Metal Gear: Survive
- Life is Strange: Before the Storm
- Nex Machina: Death Machine
- No Man’s Sky
- Injustice 2
- Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana
- Everybody’s Golf
- Call of Duty Black Ops 3
PS4 System Update 5.50 Beta Brings Supersampling to PS4 Pro
- A Beginner’s Guide to Building a Quality Online Marketing Strategy
- Guide to Form Natural Sequences and Sets in Rummy
- Asus ROG phone coming to the US on October 18
- Lenovo ThinkPad L480 review: This basic business notebook falls a little short
- Technology helping students to do their homework is a godsend